Wednesday 9 May 2012

Fantasy Football Leagues - Where Geniuses Are Discovered...


Football fans love to get it right...

Whether it's through betting, competing in fantasy football leagues, or simply debating about last night's match with friends, a correct prediction can earn the football fan some invaluable bragging rights. It doesn't necessarily prove one's knowledge of the game (although most supporters like to think it does) but it allows the fan a moment of self-righteousness – the “I told you so”.

It's what makes football so exciting (and betting such a lucrative industry) – the unpredictable nature of 90 minutes of sport.

Most predictions and bets are educated guesses based on the punter's knowledge of the subject, alongside a 'gut feeling' and obviously the prize for getting it right – cash, or the short-lived respect of peers.

I'm a timid gambler; I'll only place a bet every now and then (someone get me a medal!) and even then it's just a quid or two. But I do enjoy the rush. I correctly predicted the first scorer in the Brighton v Watford game the other week (seriously, where's my medal?) and I was chuffed. For about half an hour I was the most knowledgeable football fan in the world. In reality, I picked a name out of a hat. Okay, it was one of the more likely scorers, but ultimately it was a guess.

When it comes to making predictions, I think I prefer fantasy football leagues. They offer fans the chance to prove their knowledge over the course of a season, and there's less of the 'wild stab in the dark' element that you can get with betting.

These leagues seem to have been going for years and years, but the last time I took part you couldn't do fancy things like transfers, joining private leagues, and swapping players in your squad on such a regular basis like you can now.

I'm now addicted, and my Saturday morning's have become devoted (slight exaggeration, only slight) to frantically deciding who should be my captain (who get double points). This decision is influenced by several key factors:

  1. Who will my captain's opponents be? If Wayne Rooney is in my squad, and Manchester United are playing Wolves at Old Trafford, Wazza will almost certainly get the nod.
  1. Who is in top form? If Fernando Torres scored a hat-trick last week, maybe he'll be extra confident tomorrow (this is a high-risk strategy – it is easy to be seduced by last week's points. Torres probably won't score).
  2. Does the rival in my private league have that player in their team? My bold decision going into the final weekend of the season is to purchase Tottenham's Rafael Van der Vaart and make him my skipper. Very few of the other players in my private league have the Dutchman in their team, so if he has a good day (which he probably won't), I'll be one of the few to benefit from his points.

This new found addiction adds a new dimension to my weekends. I've always enjoyed the goals and drama that a Saturday afternoon brings, but now I'm also keeping tabs on how my selected eleven are getting on.

But I suppose this is where fantasy football has a down side. My interest in the actual football has been overshadowed by my obsession with getting it right. The shock of a Wigan win against Manchester United isn't enough for me anymore. I need to know if Victor Moses got the winner. If Moses got the winner, that's four glorious points coming my way. Let it be Victor! Oh….it was Shaun Maloney.

I'd rather ignore the frustration or joy that goes along with fantasy football, and concentrate purely on the drama of the day's football. The twists and turns of the Premiership make it the best league in the world. Let's focus on that, rather than all this gambling.

But we all know I'll be back next year. Fretting over whether Sergio Aguero should be captain. And if I end top of my private league, then you can ignore that last paragraph; I am the great all-knowing football genius. I look forward to receiving my call from the FA.

Ben Holt, Roy Hodgson's Number Two

No comments:

Post a Comment